One of the key initiatives of the Diagnostic Imaging Reform Package is to expand patient access to MRI services across Australia. This includes increased access to MRI services for primary care patients 16 years and over by extending requesting rights to GPs for a small set of clinically appropriate indications. GPs are able to request four new Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Medicare services for patients 16 years of age and over. The new items will be for the following:
referral by a medical practitioner (excluding a specialist or consultant physician) for a scan of head for a patient 16 years or older for any of the following:
- unexplained seizure(s)
- unexplained chronic headache with suspected intracranial pathology
referral by a medical practitioner (excluding a specialist or consultant physician) for a scan of spine for a patient 16 years or older for suspected: • cervical radiculopathy
referral by a medical practitioner (excluding a specialist or consultant physician) for a scan of spine for a patient 16 years or older for suspected:
- cervical spine trauma
referral by a medical practitioner (excluding a specialist or consultant physician) for a scan of knee following acute knee trauma for a patient 16 years or older with:
- inability to extend the knee suggesting the possibility of acute meniscal tear;
- clinical findings suggesting acute anterior cruciate ligament tear
New MRI Enterography items for the evaluation of:
- small bowel Crohn’s disease
- anal fistulas and pelvic sepsis in established or suspected Crohn’s disease
Please note that these scans are Medicare-eligible for Specialist referral only on fully or partially licensed magnets.
MRI to evaluate small bowel Crohn’s disease
- Evaluation of disease extent at time of initial diagnosis of Crohn’s disease.
- Evaluation of exacerbation/suspected complications of known Crohn’s disease.
- Evaluation of known or suspected Crohn’s disease in pregnancy.
- Assessment of change to therapy in patients with small bowel Crohn’s disease. (This can only be claimed once in a 12 month period.)
MRI for fistulising perianal Crohn’s disease
- Evaluation of pelvic sepsis and fistulas associated with established or suspected Crohn’s disease.
- Assessment of change to therapy of pelvic sepsis and fistulas from Crohn’s disease. (This can only be claimed once in a 12 month period.)
Every PRP clinic is committed to patient-focused care that harnesses state of the art technology with world-class reporting. You can be assured of an excellent standard of diagnostic imaging that helps you deliver the highest quality healthcare.
With patient comfort of the utmost importance, we offer easy convenient parking, spacious private changing rooms, modern stylish interiors, and a calm, supportive atmosphere to ensure the PRP experience is a highly positive one.
PRP Diagnostic Imaging clinics are fitted with a state-of-the-art Picture Archiving and Communication System or PACS. Images and reports are stored electronically on a security protected archive data base that you have access to 24/7. There is also the option for you to review a patient's case with one of our imaging specialists.
As a valued referrer, you’re invited to apply for access to PACS. Simply complete this application and we’ll arrange for PRP PACS to be available to your practice at your convenience.
Bulk-billing is offered to all health care card holders and patients who you deem to be financially disadvantaged (please note this on their referral). We will review the cost associated with each procedure with your patient when their appointment is made.
24 Hour Consult Contact
We believe that communication between the radiologist and referrer is essential for quality patient care. We hope you will see us as part of your medical support team, always on hand to consult with you about appropriate tests, procedure options and diagnostic reports. As a registered referrer you have direct access to our on-site clinic radiologists as well as an after hours emergency consult contact available 24 hours on 1800 233 390.
High Quality Images With Minimum Radiation
PRP continues to invest in cutting-edge digital equipment which offers high quality images with minimal radiation. Many of our referrers are interested in the latest technology and machines we use. If you would like more information on this please contact us.